Thursday, August 21, 2008

Gracie's 1st week

Gracie started preschool this week. We've gradually gotten to sleep a bit earlier and up a bit earlier every day, and we've also gotten to the school a bit earlier every morning, so we're doing well.

Day 1 - Gracie had a good first day. She didn't cry when I left, but she did have one breakdown when the teachers wanted her to sit down at the table. She threw a fit and then calmed down and sat at the table. It happens a lot when you're three. She didn't go on the potty for them, refusing to even sit down. We'll work on that one. We left early to make it to the health department for a TB screening (no shot, just a questionnaire) and a lead test. She had to get the finger prick, so after that, I caved and let her have some treats at Walgreens. She picked out a soft Sleeping Beauty doll that went with her to school on Day 2.

Day 2 - Gracie's day was pretty good. She LOVES to be outside. In fact, when I went to pick her up, there she was on the playground, saw me, and kept playing with the rocks. I was able to chat with her teacher a bit that day since she was playing. She did sit on the potty for the teachers but no results. Baby steps, I have to remind myself. She got good marks for her vocabulary being so strong, and although she did collapse when I went to leave, she recovered pretty quickly. No big problems today. Just 3-year-old fun.

Day 3 - Gracie refused to eat today - she's getting picky at what she eats. She'd love to eat chicken nuggets, fries and milk for every meal. She also threw a fit when I left, refusing this time to even go in the classroom, and trying finally to run after me as I tried to scoot out. She offered another fit when they tried to reduce the lunch tables from 3 to 2 because they had a smaller group of kids on Day 3. She had sat in the same seat for the first 2 days, so I assume she thought it was assigned and didn't want to move. That was during lunch, which might explain why she didn't eat. When playing outside though, she did get in a bit of trouble for putting rocks in her mouth. The playground has a small pebble/rock flooring, like a large sandbox. Grace loves it, but apparently was trying to eat the rocks. When we got in the car, I asked her why she did that. She said, "Open." I later got out of her that she thought there was something in the rocks and she was putting them in her mouth to open them. I asked her what she thought was in there, and she said, "Chocolate." My kid.

Day 4 - When I dropped her off, she did great - playing with a puzzle and I just slipped out. When I returned to pick her up, she was doing a puzzle at the table. Since she loves puzzles, I thought that was fine. Then I was informed that she was sitting there as punishment because she was making faces at the snack table for snack time. The teacher informed me that she was just being like her neighbor who started it all, but since both of them refused to stop making faces and giggling, they couldn't play with the other toys in the room as punishment and had to do puzzles quietly at the table. Doesn't sound like too much of a punishment to me. I laughed later. She ate better today and sat for the teachers on the potty, but no results yet. She did tell me tonight that she needed to poop and by the time we got to the potty, she was done. I told her if she went on the potty (pee or poop) on Day 5 for the teachers, she could get a Barbie out of its perch in the bathroom - where it's been as a bribe since May. We'll see how things go.

No comments: